Views & Reviews From Writer Steve Miller
Formerly Reviews and Stuff at Rotten Tomatoes, 2005 - 2009.

Currently Showing at Cinema Steve

Saturday, April 9, 2011

H is for Heroes (Blogging Challenge Bonus Post)

I've already done 'H' for the Blogging A to Z Challenge, but here's a bonus entry. (Click on the picture for a larger, more easily read, version.)


The sentiments expressed on that page, by the late Alex Toth, explain why I prefer old comics and movies over modern ones. It's also why I love running role-playing games and why I enjoyed writing for "Star Wars" and "Dragonlance" and even "Ravenloft." Even if the characters I create aren't the heroes, the players get to portray heroes and to be exactly the sort of characters Toth describes in the blurb.

Is there anyone writing stories with heroes these days? Everywhere I look, popular culture is about tearing down heroes and celebrating the dark and the evil and the twisted. And it seems like it's been that way since at least the mid-1990s.

Can anyone point me to something I'm forgetting?

(This illo was 'borrowed' from TothFans.com.)

1 comment:

  1. As I've thought about this post, I realized that some of what I am looking for can be found on television. "Burn Notice", "Bones", and "Stargate: SG-1" all revolve(d) around the sort of heroes I wish pop culture would spotlight more.

    ReplyDelete