Views & Reviews From Writer Steve Miller
Formerly Reviews and Stuff at Rotten Tomatoes, 2005 - 2009.

Currently Showing at Cinema Steve

Saturday, June 25, 2011

I may ruin a festive atmosphere tonight....

I may be throwing a metaphorical "Molotov Cocktail" into a room this evening. And it will all be Madonna's fault.

Why? Well, I'm glad you asked!

It seems that Madonna is no better a director than she is an actor if the dirge-like "buzz" surrounding the 25 million dollar picture "W.E.", about a British royal scandal in the 1930s, is any indication.

The Daily Mail Online presents a round-up of gossip regarding her troubled, will-be/might-be feature film debut that was pulled at the last minute from this year's Cannes festival due to supposed soundtrack problems, and distributor Harvey Weinstein is currently overseeing the re-cutting after it reportedly bombed with a test audience at a super-secret screening last week. The film, apparently, made no sense and was a stellar example of what happens when someone who emphasizes style of substance is also a lousy storyteller.

If you are so inclined, you can read all about in Imperious, arrogant, stroppy: No, not Wallis Simpson but Madonna, but this is the following bit that really interested me:

"In an interview Madonna remarked: ‘I’ve found that if you bring up King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson at a dinner party or a social gathering, it’s like throwing a Molotov cocktail into the room. Everyone erupts into an argument about who they were. I mean, they were very controversial — and continue to be. So, of course, I’m very attracted to that.’"

Madonna, wearing her 'serious filmmaker' face
Is King Edward VIII of Great Britain and his love for an American divorcee a topic that comes up at parties you attend, dear reader? And when it does, does it lead to explosive arguments or just blank stares and polite smiles as those around think, "What the hell does that have to do with anything?"

Would anyone even know who Wallis Simpson is?

Perhaps it's a British thing?

I'm going to ask at a gathering I'll be at tonight if anyone has an opinion about King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. I'll report what happened tomorrow, in the comments section below.

If it turns out that I completely ruin the congenial atmosphere, I will be all apologies and explain that I was testing a claim by Madonna. They will understand; I am viewed as being insane anyway.

Meanwhile, if anyone reading this wants to see what happens if bring up Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson to a group of your friends, acquaintances, co-workers, or whoever you happen to be in line with at the grocery store, I'd love to hear your report. (I won't provide your bail money if a riot breaks out at the Safeway. Not that I think that's going to happen.)

(BTW, if the subject of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson pisses people off, then why is the Material Girl bringing it up at parties? Does she do it when she wants to leave, when she doesn't like the hosts, or just because she's a bitch who likes to ruin a pleasant time? Me, I think it's none of the above, but that Madonna has a rich fantasy life. But, we will soon know!)

4 comments:

  1. I had the opportunity to ask two people this past evening if they had an opinion of Edward VIII and his divorced love of his life Wallis Simpson.

    One person said that she felt it was nobody's business, but that Edward had seemed like a good guy even if Wallis was a bitch. Apparently, Wallis was a Nazi, so the Brits dodged a bullet when Edward VIII abdicated in favor of nookie. The person also told me that there were parents of kids while she was growing up who thought Edward was a hero, while others thought he should have been shot as a traitor.

    Another person had no opinion, but he did know who Edward VIII and his squeeze were.

    BTW, no one reacted as if I'd thrown a Molotov cocktail into the room, metaphorically or literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madonna actually is trying to direct a movie???
    HAAA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... it's her second time out apparently. And by all accounts, her directing is worse than her acting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and
    say I truly enjoy reading through your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover
    the same topics? Many thanks!
    Also see my website - borkum riff

    ReplyDelete